ibnlive » Cricket

Pietersen and ECB reach an agreement


Cricketnext Staff,Cricketnext.com
Oct 03, 2012 at 06:38pm IST

Michelin - Drivers Wanted
You are just a Click away from
Driving a Racing Car in Sepang!

London: South Africa born England batsman Kevin Pietersen has reached an agreement with the England Cricket Board (ECB) over his future as an international player, the ECB confirmed on Wednesday.

"The ECB and Kevin Pietersen confirm that agreement has been reached concerning a process for his re-integration into the England team during the remainder of 2012," the statement read. "Upon completion of the programme, the England selectors will consider Kevin for future matches."

The 32-year-old batsman was cast into international exile in August after sending text messages to touring South Africa players that contained criticism of then England captain Andrew Strauss during the Test series. He missed out on England's failed World Twenty20 title defence in Sri Lanka and was not also selected for the upcoming tour of India.

Pietersen and ECB reach an agreement

The 32-year-old batsman was cast into international exile after sending provocative text messages to South Africa players about his team-mates.

Reacting to the decision, the Pietersen said: "It's been a horrible situation for all involved, but it is time to move forward."

Kevin Pietersen has apologised for conduct and has signed 4-month contract covering all formats. Decision to extend until next September made by Andy Flower, BBC reported. "I want to play for England as soon as I can. I believe, all being well, I will be back in an England shirt as soon as possible. I am committed to completing the re-integration process..and resuming my England career in all formats."

Pietersen isn't expected to be recalled in time for the start of the upcoming tour of India, with England flying out on October 25. The five-match one-day series against the Indians at the start of January is a possible return date, although it is more likely he will be back for England when the team travels to New Zealand in February for a two-month tour.

He has been engaged in talks with management and new Test captain Alastair Cook in recent weeks after pledging his commitment to England, which had been in doubt this year as he sought a new contract that would free him up for commitments in the lucrative Indian Premier League.

The dispute with England saw him miss out on selection for the World Twenty20, where he's a pundit for South African television. "I want my son growing up seeing me playing for England and I hope one day he will put an England shirt on himself," Pietersen said.

Pietersen has agreed on a short-term central contract which can be extended to September 30 2013 "on the completion of the reintegration program," ECB chairman Giles Clarke said.

England struggled without Pietersen as its defence of the T20 trophy ended on Monday with a loss to Sri Lanka in the Super Eights stage. They also relinquished their No. 1 Test ranking by losing the summer series to South Africa, the country of Pietersen's birth.

(With inputs from agencies)

Latest

More from this section

Bleacher Report