Praveen, out with a blunt chest, will be replaced by Abhimanyu Mithun for the first three ODIs.
Cuttack: India received a setback on the eve of their five-match ODI series opener against the West Indies, after pace spearhead Praveen Kumar was ruled out for the first three ODIs due to "blunt chest on the left side", according to the BCCI.
"Praveen Kumar has got a blunt chest on the left side and has therefore been ruled out of the first three ODIs against the West Indies. Abhimanyu Mithun will replace him in the squad for the first three games," the BCCI said in a media release on Monday.
Earlier in the day, Indian skipper Virender Sehwag told reporters that he is not available for the first ODI. But the BCCI later confirmed that he is, in fact, out for the first three matches.
"Praveen Kumar has a niggle, so he is not available for the first ODI. We expect him to join the squad tomorrow and be fit for the second match," Sehwag had told reporters earlier on Monday.
Mithun, 22, last played an ODI for India against the New Zealand in August 2010. He has featured in four Tests and two ODIs in his short career until now.
Yet to take a wicket in ODI cricket, Mithun has taken nine Test wickets at an average of 50.66.