ibnlive » Cricketnext

May 11, 2012 at 12:43pm IST

Rahane ecstatic with his performance

Jaipur: Ajinkya Rahane, who has been in prolific form for Rajasthan Royals so far in the IPL season five, says the entire experience has been like a dream coming true. And although he hasn’t done that well in the last three games, his 480 runs scored at an average of 43.63 still remains second only to Chris Gayle so far in the league. Nobody has scored more fours (63) than him and only two others, besides him, have hit centuries in this edition.

Rahane says he is extremely happy with how things have gone for him so far in the tournament, but it would be better if his team too was doing equally good. "Well, it has come as a surprise. I have only done my part and the rest has been destiny. To top the charts in a competition like IPL is really a proud achievement. But I would have really loved to see my team to be in a better position than where it is [now]," he said.

Rahane played for Mumbai Indians before moving to Rajasthan, and the youngster says the decision has really paid well for him. "I was learning a lot with Mumbai Indians with my idol Sachin Paaji [Tendulkar] around, but then I wasn't getting many chances. Here in RR, things were different; I had a role to play. There were expectations from me. And I was also happy to be around my other idol, Rahul Dravid. It's a pleasure talking cricket to him," he said.

Rahane ecstatic with his performance in IPL 5

The Rajasthan Royals batsman has scored 480 runs at an average of 43.63 in the league so far.

When asked how it felt making his Twenty20 debut against England in the same game as Dravid? "It is funny I once saw Tendulkar and Dravid playing for India in the same match in Mumbai, but I was too shy to speak to them. And then I got a chance to make my T20 debut with Dravid. I remember MS Dhoni, Sachin paaji and Rahul bhai talking to me before the game and telling me that I am playing for India because I deserve." Rahane said.

When asked how his life changed since then, Rahane said he remained the same person who valued the money he earned. "Well, my approach to life hasn't changed at all. I am the same Ajinkya for everyone around me. But coming from a lower-middle class family, I did understand the value of money. I remember my parents had sacrificed a lot so that I could continue my cricket. I remember I used to travel four to five hours every day to train at an academy. So we [My family and I] all have worked hard for my career and I am glad that it worked," he said.

Latest