Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket Board on Monday said that it was looking forward to the participation of Indian cricketers in the inaugural edition of the Sri Lankan Premier League to be held in August. "We hope and pray that India will participate," Nishantha Ranatunga, Sri Lanka Cricket secretary, told reporters on Monday.
He said all international cricket governing bodies have been contacted to ensure foreign participation in the tournament which will get underway in August. Asked for any particular player, SLC chief Upali Dharmadasa said it was too early to mention names.
The tournament was aborted last year due to pulling out by Indian players and SLC's deal with the Singapore-based entertainment company, which was to sponsor the league, was to be questioned by the Parliament's Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE). Dharmadasa said all such controversy regarding the tournament had been cleared by COPE.
The SLC is expected to get benefit to the tune of USD 300,000 by holding the seven-team tournament which gets underway from August 10 ahead of the Twenty20 World Cup to be hosted by Sri Lanka in September.