ibnlive » Cricketnext

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:47pm IST

T20 WC: MacGill doesn't see Aus in top 4

New Delhi: Former Australia legspinner Stuart MacGill feels Australia won't be able to make it to the semi-finals of the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka, though he would love to see them there.

Accompanying Australia's hockey legend Jamie Dwyer on India tour, MacGill was present here on Tuesday at the launch of the Hockey India League - for which Dwyer was named one of the brand ambassadors by Hockey India.

"Australia won't be in top four. I would love to see them there, but I don't think they will be," MacGill replied when asked what are Australia chances at the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka, which starts on Tuesday.

World T20: MacGill doesn't see Aus in top 4

The former Australia spinner also said if India want to win the World Twenty20, it will depend on their spinners.

The legspinner, who played most of his international cricket under the shadow of Shane Warne, said Harbhajan Singh's form is crucial to India's success. "The dominant bowlers in this T20 World Cup will be the spinners and India will need Harbhajan to bowl well. If India want to win the World Cup, it will depend on their spinners," MacGill said.

Other than India, the former Australia spinner picked West Indies as one of the favourites to win the trophy. "I think they [West Indies] are a dangerous side. Sunil Narine is quite a handful," he said.

Latest