New Delhi: The BCCI on Wednesday described as "baseless" the media reports that the Indian cricket team skipped a reception at the Indian High Commission for attending a function organised by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni at a central London hotel to raise money for his charity.
"The BCCI would like to make it clear that this story is baseless. The Indian High Commission had extended an invitation to the Indian team to attend a reception on 18 July 2011. However, the Indian cricket team had already committed itself to another function on the same day, six months in advance.
"The BCCI had accordingly communicated the same to the Indian High Commission, and suggested that the reception be organised on 25 July 2011 instead," the board said in a statement.
"However, the Indian High Commission authorities said that there were other engagements scheduled on the 25th. They also informed the BCCI that they would get in touch with the Indian Team Management after its arrival in the UK, and fix up a date for the reception. The BCCI agreed to this.
"Mr. Anirudh Chaudhry, the Manager of the touring side, is in touch with the Indian High Commission officials, and it is learnt that the reception may be organised in August, when the Indian team returns to London," the statement added.
Earlier, an Indian daily reported that the Indian team and the BCCI have been reported by the Indian High Commission to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) here for failing to attend a reception on July 18, which was to be hosted by the high commissioner to the United Kingdom.
The daily further stated that the high commissioner, Nalin Surie had to cancel his planned reception, after he learnt that Dhoni had scheduled a function the same evening.