Colombo: David Hussey, the highest run-getter in Twenty20 cricket, has fallen out of favour with Australia’s team management and is struggling to find a place in the starting XI at the ICC World Twenty20.
Hussey’s last Twenty20 international half-century came in May 2010 during the third edition of the World Twenty20, and in 14 innings since he has a best of 42 to go with six single-digit scores. The 35-year-old, who has scored 4670 career runs in Twenty20, was dropped from the third match against Pakistan in the UAE last week after scores of 3 and 1 and was not picked in the team for Australia’s second warm-up against England on Monday.
As Australia’s coach Mickey Arthur explained after the nine-run defeat to England, the junior Hussey has struggled to live up to team expectations. “We wanted to get everything structured and stable before we went into the tournament. Seven doesn’t go into six and one guy has to miss out. Since I’ve come in he’s played every game, bar the start of this tournament,” he told reporters in Colombo. “We wanted to get little bit more from Dave and wanted Dave to finish games a little bit more than what he has. He’s aware of that. We had some good honest chat about it. Dave is still very clearly in the mix and down the line could play a really big role in this tournament.”
The highest run-scorer in Twenty20 cricket has been pushed out of Australia’s side in Sri Lanka due to poor form.
The emergence of 23-year-old Glenn Maxwell, appears to have put Hussey’s place in danger. “Glenn has played some really good one-day innings for us and he’s got bit about him. If he has a good tournament then he is certainly a guy who can win games for us. Dave’s probably a little bit unlucky,” said Arthur.
Hussey was named Player of the Series in Australia’s inaugural Big Bash League earlier this year, having made 243 runs at 40.50 and taken eight wickets at 19.50.