Singapore: TCA Raghavan, the Indian High Commissioner to Singapore, has said that the body of the Delhi braveheart, who died after suffering from multiple-organ failure ten days after a brutal sexual and physical assault aboard a moving bus in the Indian capital, would be flown back to the country on Saturday after all the "formalities are completed". "Formalities have to be completed before the body can be sent back," he said, adding that a chartered plane would arrive from India at around 12.30 to 1.30 pm IST on Saturday.
Paying tribute to the braveheart, the High Commissioner said that he extended his deepest condolences to the members of her family. He added that the 23-year-old had been provided with the best medical care at the hospital. "I thank the Singapore government and the Mount Elizabeth Hospital (for all the help)," he said.
He further insisted that the decision to shift the victim to the Singapore hospital had been taken in consultation with doctors.
Raghavan said the formalities, including getting a death certificate, for sending her body were being completed. "Once they are done, the body will be flown back," he said.
Raghavan said he has passed on the condolence message of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the family in which he had spoken of the desire to make India a demonstrably better and safe place for women to live in. Raghavan said the High Commission has received numerous messages from various quarters including the Singapore government deeply mourning the death.
Asked whether doctors felt that she could have died to her shift from Delhi to Singapore, Raghavan said "no such sentiments was expressed to me. Both the doctors (PK Verma of Safdarjung and Yatin Mehta of Medanta Medicity) said she was very badly injured in the assault of December 16 night".
He said the best possible treatment was given to the girl in Delhi and in Singapore and the cause of her death was "the injuries she sustained". "All possible medical efforts were made to treat the injuries. The efforts were not successful in helping her to overcome the injuries," he said.
Declining to go into the details of the family, he said they had requested that the privacy of their identity be protected.
With additional information from PTI
Anna Hazare gets threats on Facebook; FIR registered against 2 Canada men
Restraint by court on broadcast of Nirbhaya case convict's interview till further orders
Conditional permission to interview Delhi gangrape convict can be given: Delhi Police chief