New Delhi: One of the four adult accused in the December 16 gangrape case on Thursday alleged before a special court that he is receiving life threats in Tihar jail from a police constable who is continuously abusing him. After being permitted by the court to speak, Akshay Singh, his voice quivering with emotion, told Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Yogesh Khanna that a police constable was threatening to kill him or hang him inside the jail. "One of the Delhi police constables is threatening to kill and hang me. The constable also abuses me in filthy language regularly inside the jail," Akshay claimed.
After Akshay's submission, his counsel AP Singh requested the court to take action against the cop saying it was a matter of serious concern for him as well. "He, the constable, is that kind of a person who can hang a person," Akshay said. The court took note of the submissions and asked Akshay's counsel to file a proper application so that the Tihar jail authorities could be informed about the incident and file their response to it.
Earlier on March 11, the main accused in the case, Ram Singh, was found hanging inside his cell in the Tihar prison. Meanwhile, Akshay, who was represented by advocate ML Sharma, again opted to change his lawyer and choose Singh to defend him in the case. Advocate Singh, who is now defending Akshay and accused Vinay Sharma, on Thursday moved an application before the court that his clients should not be allowed to meet any other lawyer in Tihar jail as some advocates go there to allegedly harass them.
Vinay also moved his interim bail application for April 7 saying that he has to appear for his Indian Air Force clerical examination scheduled on that day. The judge issued a notice to the police on Vinay's plea seeking their reply by Friday and also said that if he is allowed, he can go for his exam in judicial custody only. During the proceedings, the court also recorded the statement of a Delhi police Sub-Inspector, who on December 16 had collected medico-legal case (MLC) of the victim's male friend, who was also assaulted along with the girl, from the Safdarjung Hospital.
On being asked during the cross-examination that he had neither visited the spot on the night of the incident nor had he gone to the hospital, the SI said, "It is wrong to suggest that I never visited the spot or the hospital. After considering the urgency of call, I went to the spot on my vehicle as the arrangements of the official vehicle could have taken much time."
The witness also said the victim was in such a bad shape after the alleged brutal assault by the six accused in a moving bus here that she was immediately taken for treatment. "The doctor told me that the victim girl is being treated and informed me that during her career of 20 years, she had not seen such type of injuries on the person or on any girl," the witness said while deposing as a prosecution witness.
He also said that the boy, who was the complainant, was also badly injured as he was unable to speak properly and the doctor had stopped him from asking any question from him. Initially, five accused in the case were facing trial for allegedly gang-raping and assaulting a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012. With the proceedings against the main accused Ram Singh having abated after his death on March 11, the remaining four adults accused Mukesh, Vinay, Akshay and Pawan Gupta are facing trial in the case for rape and murder of the girl. The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board.