New Delhi: Even as the mystery behind the death of the prime accused in Delhi gangrape-murder case, Ram Singh, inside his cell in Tihar Jail on Monday remained unsolved, Delhi Police on Tuesday admitted there were prior threat to the lives of the accused and jail officials were informed about it.
Police said the intercept of the cell phones being used from inside Tihar Jail revealed the plot to kill the gangrape accused. The conversation mentioned that the gangrape accused could be killed while being taken to the court and therefore commandos were deployed outside the court, it added.
Police said several phone calls were made from inside Tihar Jail in January. A jail inmate, who is accused in the murder of journalist Soumya Vishwanathan, was also reportedly using a cellphone from inside Tihar Jail and had made several calls to Delhi-based people. After Delhi Police intercepted the calls, additional charges were slapped on Amit Shukla, the accused in the journalist's murder case.
Meanwhile, the preliminary post-mortem report of the Ram Singh has suggested that he died due to hanging. His post-mortem was conducted at AIIMS on Tuesday, a day after he was found hanging inside his cell in the Tihar Jail.
Ram Singh's father has, however, alleged that there were injury marks on his body and he suspects Ram Singh was murdered. The Tihar Jail authorities have claimed that Ram Singh committed suicide.
Ram Singh was found hanging in his cell on Monday morning. He had allegedly used a piece of cloth that he torn off from a rug to hang himself. However, after it was learnt that Ram Singh shared his cell with two other inmates, questions were raised on whether it was a case of suicide or murder.
Following are the pointers of the latest revelation:
- Police confirm there was prior threat to lives of Delhi gangrape accused
- Intercept of cell phones being used from inside Tihar Jail revealed the plot to kill gangrape accused
- Soumya Vishwanathan murder accused was using cellphone from inside Tihar Jail
- Soumya Vishwanathan murder accused Amit Shukla was making calls to several Delhi-based people
- Police intercepted calls, which detailed how the gangrape accused could be killed
- Several cellphone calls were made from inside Tihar Jail in January, 2013
- Conversation mentioned gangrape accused could be killed while being taken to court
- Police confirms jail officials were informed about threat to the Delhi gangrape accused
- Delhi Police confirms commandos were deployed outside court post this intercept
- Delhi Police had slapped additional charges on Amit Shukla post the intercepts