New Delhi: Expressing shock at the brutal gangrape of a 23-year-old physiotherapist in a moving bus in the capital, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Sunday assured that the government would file a chargesheet in the case soon and also appealed to the people to maintain calm.
Addressing a press conference along with MoS Home RPN Singh and Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari, Shinde said that the government had requested the court for a speedy trial in the case.
Shinde further said that the "government will see if the existing rape laws can be enhanced", adding that he will consult the Law Ministry for the provision of death penalty. However, he ruled out a special Parliament session for discussion on amendment of rape laws. Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had earlier demanded a special Parliament session to discuss amendment of sexual harassment laws so as to introduce death penalty for the accused.
Shinde further assured that action will be taken against the errant policemen who were on duty at checkposts on the fateful night, adding that four to five of them would be suspended. In fact, eight of them had been suspended on Saturday morning.
Speaking about the victim, Shinde said that the government was doing its best to take care of the 23-year-old physiotherapist. "The government is providing her with the best medical care," he said.
Delhi elections: BJP alleges AAP workers coming from Pakistan, Bangladesh
Delhi elections: Shazia more beautiful, better suited than Bedi for CM post, says Markandey Katju
INS Sindhuratna tragedy: Commanding Officer found guilty, court martialled