New Delhi: Nationwide protests continue over the shocking gangrape of a young 23-year-old medical student who was assaulted with an iron rod, stripped and thrown off a moving bus by a group of men in the national capital on Sunday night. The incident happened despite reports that the bus crossed five police pickets. And according to the main accused, he assaulted the girl because she resisted his attempt to rape her and bit him on his hand.
India is unwilling to let this case be forgotten and the issue be put on the backburner again.
Below is a list of protests planned for Friday and Saturday. Have you joined yet?
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party will hold a protest at Jantar Mantar in the afternoon. They will be joined by families of several rape victims.
- There will be a protest outside Rail Bhawan at 11:30 am, where demonstrators are expected to form a human chain, to mark 'Black Friday'. The protesters will wear black badges to protest against police incompetency and complicity in its failure to protect women from harassment - be it of any kind.
- A 'maha havan' will be organised by school children and residents' welfare associations at the Arya Samaj Mandir, C-Block in Preet Vihar at 12:00 noon.
- The students of Jawaharlal Nehru University that has been spearheading the protests, will hold a candle light march at 5:30 pm at Batla House.
- Protests are lined up for Saturday too. There will be a mega protest at India Gate at 9.00 am on Saturday. The invite for the protests has gone viral on social networking sites.
- Another protest will be held at the same venue from 11.00 am to 2.00 pm. The event is called 'Let's Unite - Fight Back'.
- 'Hang Them or Hang Us': At 1.00 pm at India Gate.
- 'Voice For Safety': Sunday 9.00 am at India Gate
- 'Rebirth: Society Rises Midnight': Tuesday, December 25, 12.00 am to 2.00 am, silent march from India Gate.