New Delhi: The 23-year-old Delhi gangrape survivor has been flown Singapore for further treatment. She landed in Singapore on Thursday morning and was admitted to the ICU of the Mount Elizabeth hospital that specialises in multi-organ transplant procedures.
The High Commission of India in Singapore issued a statement saying, "The patient has arrived at Mount Elizabeth Hospital and has been admitted in the Intensive Care Unit. The High Commission is in close touch with the hospital authorities." "We assure all concerned that the patient is receiving full medical attention and the family is also being provided all possible assistance by the High Commission," the statement said.
She was shifted out of the Safdarjung Hospital and taken to the airport late on Wednesday night. The decision was taken at the highest level and the government is bearing all the expenses.
Her father and two doctors from the Medanta hospital have accompanied her. Doctors at the Safdarjung hospital said the 23-year-old continues to be critical and it was therefore, important to shift her to Singapore. "She has survived the after effects of the injuries so far, but her condition continues to be critical. It has been decided that the patient be shifted abroad for further treatment in Singapore as advised by the team of doctors. The said hospital has a state of the art multi-organ transplant facility. The arrangements have also been made for the family to accompany her," Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital Dr BD Athani said.
The decision of taking the patient who requires ventilator support was a tough one to take, but the competent authorities found it to be a good move and said that the hospital in Singapore will provide her better treatment there.
The team of doctors treating her consulted other doctors across India, US and UK. The gangrape has outraged the nation and sparked massive protests in the national capital, with the government announcing a number of security measures for women in the city. All six accused in the case have been arrested.
During the brutal assault, the survivor suffered massive internal injuries and her health has fluctuated often since then. The doctors at Safdarjung have performed several operations on her, including the one in which they removed her gangrenous intestines.
The girl was beaten brutally and gangraped by six men aboard a private bus in New Delhi. Her male friend, who had accompanied her that night, was also beaten up mercilessly by the accused. After about 30 minutes of torture, they both were thrown out of the bus in a semi-conscious and almost naked state.
So far, statements from both the girl and her male friend have been recorded by the police. Sources had earlier said that the case trial will begin from January 3, 2013.
A billion people across the country are hoping and praying for her speedy recovery and survival. Coupled with her strength and hope, the nation hopes she gets out of this traumatic situation safe and sound.