New Delhi: The 23-year-old Delhi gangrape survivor is extremely critical and is in the intensive care unit, doctors at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore said in a statement. The hospital said a panel of several specialists are involved in the girl's treatment, who was flown from New Delhi to Singapore on Wednesday night as he condition showed no signs of improvement even after 10 days at the Safdarjung Hospital in the national capital.
"The condition of the patient remains extremely critical and she undergoing a treatment in Intensive Care Unit. Before she was admitted to our hospital she had undergone three abdominal surgery and had a experienced cardiac arrests in India. A multidisciplinary team of doctors is taking care of her and taking all possible steps to stabilise her condition," said Dr Kelvin Loh, Mount Elizabeth Hospital CEO in a medical bulletin on Thursday.
Before she was admitted to the Singapore hospital she had undergone three abdominal surgeries and had experienced two cardiac arrests while undergoing treatment at the Delhi hospital. Doctors at the Safdarjung hospital said that on Tuesday night, she suffered two cardiac arrests. The decision to move her was taken at a meeting attended by the Cabinet Secretary, according to sources.
The Mount Elizabeth hospital specialises in multi-organ transplant procedures. The government is bearing all the expenses for the 23-year-old's treatment. Her parents and a team of doctors from the Safdarjung Hospital have also accompanied her.
Doctors at the Safdarjung hospital said that as the 23-year-old continued to be critical and it was therefore, important to shift her to Singapore. "She has survived the after effects of the injuries so far, but her condition continues to be critical. It has been decided that the patient be shifted abroad for further treatment in Singapore as advised by the team of doctors. The said hospital has a state of the art multi-organ transplant facility. The arrangements have also been made for the family to accompany her," Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital Dr BD Athani said.
The decision of taking the patient who requires ventilator support was a tough one to take, but the competent authorities found it to be a good move and said that the hospital in Singapore will provide her better treatment there.
The team of doctors treating her consulted other doctors across India, US and UK. The gangrape has outraged the nation and sparked massive protests in the national capital, with the government announcing a number of security measures for women in the city. All six accused in the case have been arrested.
During the brutal assault, the survivor suffered massive internal injuries and her health has fluctuated often since then. The doctors at Safdarjung have performed several operations on her, including the one in which they removed her gangrenous intestines.
The girl was beaten brutally and gangraped by six men aboard a private bus in New Delhi. Her male friend, who had accompanied her that night, was also beaten up mercilessly by the accused. After about 30 minutes of torture, they both were thrown out of the bus in a semi-conscious and almost naked state.
So far, statements from both the girl and her male friend have been recorded by the police. Sources had earlier said that the case trial will begin from January 3, 2013.
I am thankful to PM for nominating me in 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan': Kapil Sharma
Assam violence: No talks with NDFB (S), says Rajnath Singh
J&K: Amit Shah authorised to take final call on state government formation, Omar denies deal with BJP