ibnlive » India » Delhi

technology partner
in association with

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:46pm IST

Delhi gangrape: Tejinder Khanna asks government to review Juvenile Justice Act

New Delhi: Delhi governor Tejinder Khanna has written a letter to Union Home Ministry demanding for reducing age bar on minor in cases of heinous crimes. Khanna said that juvenile delinquency is increasing day by day so the age bar should be brought below 18 years.

His comments come after one of the accused in the brutal gangrape and murder of a paramedical student in Delhi claimed that he was a minor. If the accused is found to be a minor, he cannot be tried before a court and instead his case will be heard by a Juvenile Justice Board and he cannot be sentenced to more than three years in a remand home.

There have been demands for a review of the Juvenile Justice Act following the gangrape and death of the girl. The name of the minor, who is one of the six accused in the brutal gangrape and murder case of the 23-year-old paramedical student, has been excluded in the chargesheet filed by the Delhi Police at the Saket Court on Thursday. A separate chargesheet against him would be filed in a juvenile court.

Gangrape: Delhi LG asks govt to review Juvenile Justice Act

He said that juvenile delinquency is increasing day by day so the age bar should be lowered.

He will be produced before a juvenile justice board and can be sent to a children's home for a maximum of three years. The police, meanwhile, have decided to go for a bone marrow test of the sixth accused to determine his real age.

The braveheart had succumbed to her injuries at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore at 2:15 am on December 29 after struggling against all odds and fighting for her survival for 12 days. The odds were stacked against her as she had suffered significant brain injury, intestinal damage, cardiac arrests and multiple organ failure. Her small intestine had to be removed by the doctors at Safdarjung Hospital where she was under treatment for 10 days before she was airlifted to Singapore for further treatment.