Jaipur: Self-proclaimed godman Asaram Bapu has kicked up a controversy after holding the Delhi braveheart herself responsible for the the barbaric sexual assault on her by a group of six men. He said, "Only five to six people are not the culprits. The victim is as guilty as her rapists. She should have called the culprits brothers and begged before them to stop. This could have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don't think so."
"Had she recited the Saraswati mantra, she would not have boarded any bus after watching a movie with her boyfriend," he said.
Reacting to his statement, Congress leader Rashid Alvi said, "Political leaders including religious leaders must give serious thought before they speak out." BJP leader Balbir Punj also added, "I would say the man of this stature made a very childish suggestion it not only need to be condemned but laugh it also."
BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad, "Sorry! It is not acceptable. Asaram Bapu's statement on Delhi braveheart is regrettable and deeply disturbing, unfortunate. He should introspect and immediately withdraw his statement."
This comes amidst the trial of the Delhi gangrape-murder case in the Saket court. There was high drama inside the Saket court on Monday as the five accused were produced. Members of the Bar association created a chaos after two lawyers offered to represent the accused, two of whom have reportedly expressed desire to turn approver. The members of the Saket Bar Association had earlier decided not to defend the accused.
Meanwhile, the controversy over the age of the sixth accused in the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedical students continues. The Juvenile Justice Board will take up the matter of verifying the age of the accused minor who claims to be 17.
The Delhi braveheart, a paramedical student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus in New Delhi on the night of December 16 and died of her injuries on December 29 in multi-speciality Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.