New Delhi: In a major embarrassment for the Delhi Police, three ISI-trained Pakistani terrorists involved in blasts near the Red Fort gave the police a slip on Friday afternoon.
It has been almost 48 hours since the three terrorists manage to escape leaving Delhi Police red-faced.
Instead of immediately fixing responsibility security agencies are busy passing the buck with the terrorists most likely already out of the city.
The three terrorists who escaped were 61-year-old Abdul Razzaq, 55-year-old Rafaket Ali and 55-year-old Mohammed Saddique and had been awaiting deportation to Pakistan.
They were taken for a medical check-up and then lunch near the Jama Masjid from where they escaped.
The three asked the police officer escorting them if they could use the urinal on the other side of the road.
The officer consented, letting them go unescorted.
"The police came yesterday. They told us that three terrorists had escaped. We don't know anything because there are so many people who come and this is a very busy area," said a restaurant owner in the Jama Masjid area Surinder on Sunday.
The escape of the trio exposes a series of major lapses. They are why was there only one policeman escorting three deadly terrorists? Why did the officer not inform the Police Control Room immediately and why the police didn’t release the photographs of the three men for more than 36 hours after they escaped?
While the Foreigners Regional Registration Office and Delhi Police pass the buck, the error may have given the terrorists enough headway to leave Delhi.
The case has now been transferred to the anti-terror squad of the Delhi Police, but what's worrying is that investigators have already lost crucial time because the local police was informed about the incident only 24 hours after it took place.