ibnlive » India » Delhi

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:04pm IST

Live: Police's response was slow in Delhi rape case, admits police chief

New Delhi: 8.03 PM: Delhi Police Commissioner admits police response in the rape case "was not as swift as desired".

5.43 PM: Second accused in Delhi minor rape case, Pradeep, to reach the national capital by Monday evening.

ALSO SEE Delhi rape: Second accused arrested from Bihar, protests to continue today

5.03 PM: Aam Aadmi Party's national convenor Arvind Kejriwal demands resignation of Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar over rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. Kejriwal adds AAP will form a women's protection group.

3.30 PM: Police chief Neeraj Kumar rules out resignation over Delhi rape case and asked if it was humanly possible to prevent a case where a neighbour was involved.

ALSO SEE Delhi minor rape: Public fury spills on to streets as protests reach PM's house

3.05 PM: Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM) leader Brinda Karat said Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar must resign.

2.45 PM: While speaking in Parliament, Mayawati blamed films and vulgar advertisements with adult content for the next generation going the wrong way.

ALSO SEE Sandeep Dikshit renews demand for Police Commissioner's removal

"A strong anti-rape bill passed but that has not been a deterrent. There should be death sentence to the accused in such cases. Only death punishment can deter them. There is a need for reforms in police also," Mayawati said.

BSP chief Mayawati said, "Crime against women has not stopped. We have to rise above politics and see what should be done to stop this menace."

ALSO SEE Delhi rape: Accused remanded to custody for identification parade

2.39 PM: Congress MP Prabha Thakur breaks down while speaking in Parliament on Delhi rape case.

2.20 PM: Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said the government must allow protests over Delhi rape as they are valid. He also said the Delhi police commissioner must show sensitivity in dealing with protests.

1.40 PM: In a statement in Parliament, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said 'rapes are not Delhi-centric issue.'

1.20 PM: Government is unlikely to remove police chief over Delhi rape, say sources.

1.12 PM:According to sources, Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar on Monday met Delhi Lt Governor.

1.03 PM: Protests intensify outside Parliament, police headquarters and Jantar Mantar.

12.55 PM: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supporters protesting outside Delhi Police headquarters and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).

12.45 PM: The BJP workers are protesting at Jantar Mantar over the Delhi rape incident.

Anticipating more protests on the rape of a 5-year-old girl, three Delhi Metro stations near Raisina Hill and India Gate were on Monday closed for public. The Metro services were shut for Race Course road, Rail Bhawan and Udyog Bhawan till further notice.

However, protests against the rape continued in New Delhi for the second day with various organisations condemning the incident and demanding action against all those involved in the case.

Meanwhile, the clamour is building within the Congress for the sacking of the Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar. After Sandeep Dikshit, now Girija Vyas too has demanded that the police chief be sacked.

The second accused in the Delhi rape case was arrested from the Lakhisarai area Bihar late on Sunday night. During his interrogation, prime accused Manoj Kumar had said that he had an accomplice during the crime.

Pradeep was apprehended from Barahiya village, Bihar Director General of Police Abhayanand said. A Delhi Police team with the help of Bihar Police Special Task Force arrested Pradeep from his maternal uncle's residence, wehere he was hiding, the DGP said.

"He will be brought to the national capital today after getting a transit remand from Darbhanga court," Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told PTI.

Meanwhile, the five-year-old rape survivor is stable and will be discharged in two weeks, doctors at AIIMS have said. They have also ruled out any immediate surgery.

Protests are expected to continue on Monday. On Sunday, protesters gathered outside the police headquarters at ITO in central Delhi and India Gate, where prohibitory orders were in place. Some of the protesters even marched up to the Prime Minister's residence at 7 Race Course Road. The demonstrations, however, were largely peaceful.

The BJP's Mahila Morcha tried to march to Sonia Gandhi's residence at 10 Janpath, but were stopped.

Meanwhile, accused Manoj Kumar has been produced in court and sent to judicial custody till May 4.

The survivor was held in captivity and savagely assaulted for two days while the police took time in filing an FIR and launching a search. On Saturday, anger erupted in Delhi against the police as protests took place outside Delhi Police headquarters, outside Gandhi Nagar police station, at AIIMS and outside the Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde's residence.

As the anger over the gruesome rape spilled onto the capital's streets, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said collective efforts were needed to root out such "depravity" from society. "The gruesome assault on a little child reminds us of the need to work collectively to root out this sort of depravity from our society. All of us have the social responsibility to provide security to women. The safety, security and status of women in our country is a matter of concern. We have to make vast improvements in this area," he added.

Meanwhile, the wife of the accused has said her husband should be punished as he has committed the crime. However, she denied the allegation that she was raped by the accused who was forced to marry her.

"It was a false case slapped on him due to a land dispute. There is no truth in this," she said. She said that she heard about the rape of the five-year-old girl allegedly by her husband. "I have not seen her. I don't know that family," she said.

(With Additional Inputs From PTI)