ibnlive » India » Delhi

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:19pm IST

Delhi rape: Accused left the survivor for dead, say police

New Delhi: Days after he allegedly raped a five-year-old girl in Delhi, a 22-year-old was arrested from his in-law's house in Muzaffarpur in Bihar early on Saturday morning with investigators saying that it appeared that he fled the capital within an hour of committing the crime. Manoj Kumar, a casual worker in a garment factory in north-east Delhi, was apprehended from Chiknouta in Muzaffarpur, about 50 Kms from Patna, at around 2 am, Prabhakar, Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) said.

"Manoj was arrested from Muzzaffarpur. He is in remand. We trying to bring him to Delhi to probe him. He is 22 years old. He stays with his father in Delhi. His father has a juice stall and Manoj works as a casual labourer in a garment factory. No preliminary interrogation has been carried out yet. Unless we have a custodial interrogation with Manoj or unless the child recovers, we cannot confirm involvement of a second person. The minor girl was locked up in the room for almost 40 hours and preliminary interrogation suggests Manoj thought she died and he left her there," said Prabhakar.

ALSO SEE Muzaffarpur residents demand death for accused

During initial interrogation of Kumar, who will be brought to Delhi from Patna, the accused told investigators that he left home at 7 pm on April 15 to catch Swatantrata Senani Express which left Delhi at 8:30 pm, Prabhakar said. The girl's mother had told police that the victim, who was playing outside their home, went missing around 6 pm and if the versions of both the mother and Kumar are to believed, the abduction and the brutal rape of the victim took place within one hour. "We have got the transit remand of Kumar. He is being brought to Delhi. We will have to interrogate him to ascertain the facts," Prabhakar said.

Asked whether any other person was involved in the incident, he said they have to interrogate Kumar to know about the involvement of others. "He told us that he left the house thinking that the girl was dead... The girl was inside the house for 40 hours," Prabhakar said.

ALSO SEE Minor will need corrective surgery: Doctors

Asked about allegations that no woman constable accompanied the girl when she was taken to hospital, he said the MLC has recorded the presence of the two women constables at the time of incident.

With Additional Inputs from PTI

ALSO SEE Live: Delhi rape survivor was locked up in room for 40 hours, say police