New Delhi: Mahendra Sahu is just 17 but he now knows he has to take care of his three siblings and father. His mother Rajkumari who was the only earning member of this family of six died on Tuesday morning at the Sushruta Trauma Centre after the oxygen supply was cut off. She was among the five patients who died that fateful day.
Mahender says, "My mother died because of the doctor's negligence. She was to be discharged on Tuesday. I noticed that something was wrong and informed the nurse. She said that the doctors would take care of it."
Finally after 48 hours the Delhi government acted and dismissed two doctors and suspended another doctor in-charge of repair and maintenance. The action came hours after a probe panel submitted its report to the government.
But it is too little too late for the family of 22-year-old Javed for whom it was a double tragedy. His mother died just 24 days ago. And Javed - who was in an accident - was one of the victims. Their anger against the callous hospital staff is palpable.
The police have so far charged 2 PES installation employees with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The question now is will the doctors implicated in the probe, also face legal action.
Despite prior intelligence inputs, India, US, Britain failed to prevent the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack
Islamic State link, BJP-Shiv Sena alliance dominate headlines in Maharashtra
Irom Sharmila's fight agaInst AFSPA, Mary Kom's gold keep Manipur in news in 2014