ibnlive » India

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:35pm IST

Docs, cops say Katara case witness wasn't poisoned

New Delhi: Police and doctors claim that Ajay Katara, a crucial witness in the Nitish Katara murder case, has not been poisoned.

Ajay Katara, no relative of Nitish Katara, got himself admitted to a private nursing home claiming that he had been poisoned by UP politician DP Yadav.

DP Yadav's son Vikas and nephew Vishal are the prime accused in the murder case.

"If DP Yadav comes to know I am in hospital then he will get me killed here. He wants an affidavit regarding Nitish Katara murder case. I won't give it to him even if he kills me," Ajay had said earlier.

However, doctors have refuted his claim that he was poisoned.

Says Dr Deepak Aggrawal of Pannalal Shyamlal Hospital in Ghaziabad where Ajay had dbeen admitted, "There weren't any symptoms of poisoning either in the night or now. He had complained of vomiting and tomach ache. None of these

features point towards poisoning. All reports are clear. We will discharge him soon."

The prosecution has called Ajay Katara a star witness in the case and has said it will move the court to ensure his safety.

Ajay Katara is considered an extremely crucial witness by the prosecution because he was the one who last saw Nitish alive.

Nitish Katara was murdered on the night of February 16-17, 2002, after being allegedly kidnapped by Vikas and Vishal Yadav, as they were unhappy over his relationship with their sister Bharti.

For now, the Nitish Katara case seems far from over although Bharti Yadav's testimony last November after a three-year legal battle was a big boost to hopes of justice in the murder trial. When the Delhi High Court asked the trial court to finish by May-end, it seemed justice was near.

The trial court ordered day-to-day hearings from April 17 this year but is still far from meeting the deadline. All thanks to main accused Vikas Yadav, who sought as many as six adjournments before completing his statement on May 15.

Previous Comments