Cairo: Egypt's General-Prosecutor Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud has ordered a travel ban on ousted president Mohamed Morsi and 35 other leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood for investigations on killing protesters, state-run Al-Ahram news website reported. The ban was also slapped on Mohamed Saad al-Katatni, leader of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, Rashad al-Bayoumi, deputy general guide of the group, and some staff members of Islamic TV channels, said reports.
The report said that investigations revealed the accused's involvement in inciting violence against anti-Morsi protesters in Cairo, Giza, Alexandria and Marsa Matrouh, which reportedly led to the death of at least 11 people and injured hundreds more.
The decision came a day after the ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated president by the military Wednesday night, after he failed to respond to millions of protesters who took to the streets to demand his removal and an early presidential election.
Earlier, the Egyptian Supreme Judiciary Council approved the return of Mahmoud, a Hosni Mubarak-era prosecutor-general, who was dismissed by a controversial constitutional declaration issued by Morsi in November last year.
In that declaration, Morsi gave himself the power to appoint Talaat Ibrahim Abdullah as the new prosecutor-general for a four-year term. Mahmoud then appealed Morsi's decision, depending on the Egyptian law that protects the post of prosecutor-general against dismissal.