Bangalore: At least two persons died and six were injured when eight blasts triggered by a timer device hit Bangalore's central business district and other crowded areas.
Bangalore City Police Commissioner Shankar M Bidari and Union Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta confirmed that seven blasts shook Bangalore.
The first blast took place near Madiwala checkpost at around 1330 hrs IST with Additional Commissioner of Police, Bangalore, Gopal Hosur, confirming that a timer device was used to trigger the blasts.
All the blasts took place with 15 minutes of each other.
The crude bombs, stuffed with nuts and bolts, exploded at Madiwala, Adugodi, Nayandahalli, Pantharapalya and Vittal Mallya Road.
Laxmi, a garment factory worker, was killed while waiting at a bus stop in Madiwala on the Bangalore-Hosur Road. Her husband and another person were seriously injured.
The other dead person has been indentified as Anbu, a labourer.
Police claim to have recovered gelatin sticks, mainly used in quarry operations, from one of the blast sites.
Bomb disposal squads have been rushed to the blast sites and telephone network have been jammed to stop the spread of rumours.
Bangalore Police Commissioner Shankar M Bidari said, "We are monitoring the situation and request all residents to continue with their normal routine. The bomb squad and explosives experts are on the spot. We will deal with the situation."
All the injured have been taken to Mallya Hospital near Rajaram Mohan Rai circle.
Bangalore was rocked by a major terrorist attack in December, 2005 when some unidentified extremists opened fire in the Indian Institute of Science complex killing an Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi professor MC Puri.
Bomb disposal squads and forensic experts have rushed to the blast spots for investigations.
Blasts on Friday:
- March 12, 1993: Mumbai bombings were a series of thirteen bomb explosions that took place in Mumbai). The single-day attacks resulted in up to 250 civilian fatalities and 700 injuries.
- April 14, 2006: Twin blasts took place in Delhi's Jama Masjid injuring at least 13 people on Friday evening at around 1730 hrs IST.
- September 8, 2006: 31 killed, 297 injured in Friday's twin bomb blast in Malegaon.
- November 23, 2007: Multiple blasts in Faizabad, Varanasi, Lucknow within five minutes of each other killing at least 12 people in Uttar Pradesh.
- May 18, 2007: Eleven people were killed and more than 50 others injured in a bomb explosion inside Mecca Mosque located near the historic Charminar in Hyderabad.