CHIKMAGALUR: An elderly couple were electrocuted when they came in contact with a live wire at Muddenahalli village in Anoor Gram Panchayat limits of Mudigere on Saturday evening.
Shankare Gowda (70), a farmer, who went to bring his cattle, accidentally stepped on a snapped wire. Yashodhamma, who went in search of Gowda, saw her husband lying on the ground. Trying to save him, she too suffered electric shock and died.
The irate villagers took the Mescom to task for the mishap as the officials visited the spot on Sunday afternoon even though they were informed on Saturday.
They got into a heated argument with Mescom executive engineer Vijayakumar and others and did not allow him to shift the bodies. A policeman was also heckled in the melee.
Mudigere MLA M P Kumara Swamy, who arrived at the spot, pacified the villagers by promising to release `10 lakh from the Chief Minister’s relief fund. Superintendent of Police Shashikumar too visited the spot. A case has been registered at Mallanadur police station.