ibnlive » India

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:00pm IST

Former Army chief General VK Singh's family alleges bugging attempt

New Delhi: There was drama at former Army Chief General VK Singh's residence in New Delhi on Saturday afternoon when a Signals Regiment unit reportedly went to remove the army exchange and lines at his house in Mandir Marg at Delhi Cantonment.

Sources told CNN-IBN that the General Singh's wife objected to the removal of the devices without any notice and in deference to this request, the team returned without removing the exchange.

The General's lawyer Vishwajeet Singh claimed that the residence could have been bugged. "It could be possible that this could be a case of bugging. He could not show any supporting document. The authorities have been informed. This is not a small thing. This could be a major issue. Earlier his (General Singh) security was also withdrawn," said Vishwajeet Singh.

However, Indian Army Colonel Spokesperson Jagdish Dahiya called the incident a case of misunderstanding. "It was an officially designated Signals team. There was some miscommunication and misunderstanding as the team did not provide prior information to General VK Singh. The team has been asked to return. The General was not present at his home when the team arrived," said Colonel Dahiya.

The team was led by Major R Vikram of the 1st Signals Regiment. Even though police were informed but no one was detained.

Army sources admitted that the exchange was being removed from the former Army Chief's residence as part of the withdrawal of Z-plus security category with effect from November 2012.

Interestingly, General Singh has himself been in the midst of a controversy following allegations that during his tenure as Army Chief he had used sophisticated off-the-air interceptors to snoop on the officials of Defence Ministry at the height of his age controversy. The specialised unit Technical Support Division is now in the process of being disbanded.

(With additional information from PTI)