New Delhi: Four more people were attacked in Australia’s Brisbane on Thursday.
The incident took place even as a high level committee has been set up to look at the issue of racial attacks on Indians in the country.
Three of them were cabdrivers, one of whom was pulled out of his cab and beaten.
The fourth was a pizza delivery boy attacked with a bat and robbed.
This is the tenth such incident in the first month of the New Year. Last year there were nearly 100, a concern reflected by the foreign office.
Meanwhile, High Commissioner Sujata Singh rushed to Brisbane to meet community leaders and the police.
In Delhi, Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said, “The attacks are worrisome as Indians are particularly targeted. It's difficult to accept that these crimes are not racially motivated.”
The attacks also figured in the talks in London where Foreign Minister SM Krishna met his Australian counterpart Stephen Smith.
“The Aus government and the provincial government of Australia have taken our concern seriously and a high level working group has been set up, “ said Krishna.
Perneet Kaur said, “The first meeting is going to take place on Saturday-Sunday and we are very hopeful that soon the findings would be sent to us and action will be taken."