The CIC on Wednesday replied to the RTI filed to seek information on UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi's treatment expenses. In its reply, the CIC said that there is no record of any expenditure incurred by government on Sonia's treatment.
Below is the full text of the letter:
Central Information Commission, New Delhi
In its reply, the CIC said that there is no record of any expenditure incurred by government on Sonia\'s treatment.
Right to Information Act 2005 Under Section (19)
Date of hearing: 3 May 2012
Date of decision: 3 May 2012
Name of the Complainant : Shri Naveen Kumar, S/o. Shri Ram Chandar Sharma, Village Mathara Dharmpur, Post Aalpur Mathara, Tehsil Chandosi, Distt – Moradabad, UP – 202 410.
Name of the Public Authority : CPIO, Prime Minister’s Office, South Block, New Delhi – 110 101. CPIO, Ministry of External Affairs, (RTI Division), 882, Akbar Bhavan,
Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. CPIO, Ministry of Parliament Affairs, 86B, Parliament House, New Delhi. CPIO, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Sardar Patel Bhawan, Parliament Street, New Delhi. CPIO, National Advisory Council, 2, Motilal Nehru Place, New Delhi – 100 001. CPIO, Lok Sabha Secretariat, Room No. 318, Parliament House/Annexe,
New Delhi – 110 001.
The Appellant was present.
On behalf of the Respondent, the following were present:(i) Smt. Sanjukta Ray, CPIO, PMO, CIC/SM/C/2011/001470 (ii) Shri Sanjeev Gupta, CAPIO, PMO, (iii) Shri Subhendu Hota, CAPIO, PMO, (iv) Shri Dhiraj Srivastava, CPIO, NAC, (v) Shri B.K. Trivedi, DO, NAC, (vi) Shri Mahabir Singh Kasana, Advocate, MEA, (vii) Shri Kushal Sarkar, CAPIO, Lok Sabha Secretariat, (viii) Shri R.C. Wadhwa, US, Lok Sabha Secretariat, (ix) Shri Mitter Sain, CPIO, MOSPI, (x) Shri Sandeep Sood, US (RTI), MEA Chief Information Commissioner : Shri Satyananda Mishra
2. The Appellant was present in the Moradabad studio of the NIC. The respondents representing the Prime Minister's office, NAC, Ministry of External Affairs and the Lok Sabha were present in our chamber. We heard all their submissions.
3. The Appellant had wanted to know about the expenditure incurred on the treatment of Smt Sonia Gandhi in the USA during AugustSeptember 2011. His application had been transferred to various other public authorities. The CPIO concerned in each of these public authorities had informed the Appellant that they had no such record to show any expenditure having been made.
4. During the hearing, the Appellant was keen to know about the details of any expenditure incurred by the government in this regard. From the submissions made by the Respondents, it was quite clear that neither any reimbursement for any such expenditure had been claimed by the individual concerned from these public authorities nor any expenditure made in this regard. In other words, till now, the government has incurred no expenditure in this regard. Therefore, there is no information to be disclosed about the likely CIC/SM/C/2011/001470 expenditure. In any case, the expenditure made by any individual on her treatment, in India or abroad, is a private information and cannot be the subject matter of an RTI application.
5. The case is disposed of accordingly.
6. Copies of this order be given free of cost to the parties.
Chief Information Commissioner
Authenticated true copy. Additional copies of orders shall be supplied against application and payment of the charges prescribed under the Act to the CPIO of this Commission.