ibnlive » India » Delhi

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:56am IST

Gangrape protests: Constable Subhash Tomar injured at India Gate dies

New Delhi: Delhi Police constable Subhash Tomar, who was injured in Sunday's clashes, died at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in Delhi on Tuesday morning. Tomar was seriously injured after protests at India Gate turned violent and police lathicharged the agitators, some of whom also pelted stones at policemen.

The police have registered a case in this regard. The police say they have a video clip of the men who injured the constable and the case will be treated as a murder case.

Police say eight people were arrested on Monday in connection with the injury of the constable and were booked for rioting and attempt to murder. All of them were give bail after a bail bond submitted by Aam Aadmi Party member Manish Sisodia. One of those who were arrested has been identified as Chaman Kumar of AAP. This puts the Aam Aadmi Party under scrutiny.

Joint Commissioner of Police, Central Range, Taj Hasan, said, "We had arrested 8 people in connection to injuries caused to Constable Subhash Tomar, they were booked for rioting and attempt to murder. One of them is a person called Chaman Kumar who is a member of AAP. They were all given bail by the magistrate's court. AAP member Manish Sisodia had furnished bail bonds for all of them. We will now see what further legal action needs to be taken and may even move court for cancellation of bail."

Subhash Tomar, posted at Karawal Nagar police station, was deployed on law and order duty, and was rushed to the hospital after being injured and was put on ventilator support. The 46-year-old constable belonged to Meerut.

During the clashes at the protests at India gate on Sunday, over 140 people were injured. Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar had said that at least 65 Delhi Police officials were injured in the clashes with protesters.

Police used brute force to clear India Gate on Sunday evening after intermittent clashes with them. The crackdown came after some protesters started to indulge in violence, pulled down and burnt several barricades.

Many of the protesters claimed their demonstration was peaceful and accused the police of using unnecessary force. The gangrape survivor also continues be in a critical condition in Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital.

According to police, they had to use around 250 tear gas shells and repeated baton charges to evacuate protesters from the India Gate area. "Hooligans among the protestors resorted stone pelting. Around 12 DTC buses and equal number of PCR vans were damaged in the day long incident. One vehicle of Delhi Doordarshan was also damaged by the hooligans," said police.

(With additional information from IANS)

Previous Comments