New Delhi: The Goa government has just about saved its face. Under fire after a 9-year-old Russian girl was raped, the arrest of the main accused Aman Bhardwaj which was made in Chembur in Mumbai on Friday, has come as some relief.
Meanwhile, his accomplice Anil Raguvanshi, who was caught earlier in the day has been sent to 7 days in judicial custody. Raguvanshi was arrested from a bus stand near Pernem in Goa.
The two are employees of a Goa based pharma company.
The arrests have come after sketches of the suspects were released by the Goa police on Thursday evening.
Aman allegedly raped the 9-year-old victim as she was taking a swim in the sea on January 26. All through Friday, pressure continued to mount on the Goa government to act fast.
Union Information and Broadcasting (I B) Minister Ambika Soni said, It's unfortunate...I strongly condemn such incidents.. there should be a task force for tourism in the country which need to deal with such incidents.”
Meanwhile, amidst growing criticism, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat was yet again on the defensive.
“Whenever any such incident has taken place government machinery has swung into action and immediately tried to nab the culprit. Goa is still a safe place for tourists. Even in this case I am personally monitoring the case,” said Digambar Kamat.
Despite the assurances, the truth remains that attacks on tourists is on the rise in India's tourist paradise and no amount of punishment for the accused will truly wipe away the trauma suffered by the child.