New Delhi: The Ministry of Home Affairs has refused to comment on who could be behind the attack on Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar. The MHA sources have told CNN-IBN that the ministry is awaiting a report from the Ministry of External Affairs and RAW, which is expected in a day.
The MHA has been in constant touch with the Indian High Commission and other officials in London. MHA sources say that even though Lt Gen Brar is a Z category protectee, when a person goes abroad, his requirement for security is reviewed. The Home Ministry will examine if this assessment was done for General Brar's London visit. A report is expected in a day or two.
The British High Commission has also assured that those responsible for the attack will be booked. Reports point towards a possible involvement of Sikh terrorist groups.
Scotland Yard has appealed for information from members of the public on the assault on Lt General KS Brar, and described the four assailants as wearing dark clothing, long black jackets and having "long beards". Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar, who was attacked in London on Sunday night, has claimed that it was an assassination attempt on him. "There were lot of hate messages on net, there were online threats against me. There were pledges to kill me," said Brar, who is known for leading Operation Blue Star against Sikh terrorists in 1984.
Stating that detectives were keeping an open mind on the motivation behind the attack, the police said in a statement on Monday that they were particularly keen to speak to people who assisted Brar and his wife after the attack on Old Quebec Street in central London. No arrests have been made yet. "The four men are described as wearing dark clothing and long black jackets. They all had long beards. One of the men is described as younger and slimmer than the other three. They all fled in the direction of Oxford Street," the statement said.
According to Brar, a mobile phone had been recovered from the scene, which may help lead the police to the assailants. The police were also expected to go through CCTV footage from the area that has several cameras.
It was an assassination attempt on me, says Lt General KS Brar
Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar, who was attacked in London on Sunday night, has claimed that it was an assassination attempt on him. "There were lot of hate messages on net, there were online threats against me. There were pledges to kill me," said Brar, who is known for leading Operation Blue Star against Sikh terrorists in 1984.
The former Army officer praised the London police for the urgency they showed in taking him to the hospital and said he is better now. Brar said that he was slashed in the neck and a surgery was carried on him on general anaesthesia.
He said that he did not let the attackers go without a fight. "I gathered abnormal strength to fight them. I did not leave them easily. They were talking among themselves but I couldn't figure out what they were speaking," Brar told CNN-IBN.
Recalling the incident, he said, "There were four attackers. One separated my wife from me and the other three went after me. My wife was pushed to the wall, where she fell down. All of this happened within a minute."
Brar reiterated that he and many other Army officers had been on the target of many militant groups since the Operation Blue Star. "I did not have security in London but now there is a hell lot of security around me. There is Scotland Yard, military attache," he said.
(With additional information from PTI)