Food Minister KV Thomas has ordered a probe into rotting wheat having been distributed in the Public Distribution System in Palwal, Haryana.
On May 22, CNN-IBN's story showed how 80,000 sacks of wheat lay rotting and almost abandoned in Ghugera, Haryana. The report also said that rotting wheat had been distributed to BPL card holders systematically.
Thomas told CNN IBN, "Nothing has been damaged, I assure you, and we are making arrangements." He also said that there has been unprecedented production and procurement but was confident that the food stock will be managed and stored properly.
On being asked why would the FCI report that wheat had been damaged or why would an officer be suspended, Thomas responded, "These are old stocks, less than a lakh metric tons have been damaged, we have procured 75 million tons, you must understand". On the question of rotting wheat having been distributed through the PDS, Thomas said, "I have sent my officers and I am getting a report"
To free up storage space, Food Minister Thomas has also written to chief ministers of all states and union territories to lift their six months' PDS quota in one go.