Guwahati: It's been a week since a teenaged was molested and assaulted by a mob outside a pub in Guwahati. Only six suspects have been rounded up and arrested so far. Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi's deadline to the police to arrest all the accused, identified in the video, ends on Monday.
The police in Guwahati have launched a massive search since the video of the incident was broadcast across TV news channels sparking nationwide outrage. The search has spread to Odisha as well.
News agency PTI reports that one of the main suspects, Amar Jyoti Kalita, seen in a red jersey in the video, has fled to Odisha.
The police have come under fire from all quarters over the incident. A sub-inspector was suspended on Sunday. CNN-IBN has accessed the details of the National Commission for Women's report that blames the police for acting late.
The role of the journalist, Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who captured the incident on camera is also under scrutiny. Activists allege that he instigated the mob. Some reports say he has resigned pending a probe.
Neog said the charges against him were 'malicious and wild'.
"There are allegations levelled against me that I orchestrated the molestation on the girl on GS Road on the night on July 9. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild," he said in a signed statement here.
Neog said he had carried out his professional duties as a responsible journalist by asking for a camera unit from his office and filmed the "nightmarish incident to fulfill the social responsibility of identifying the molesters and get them punished."
He requested the management of the channel to relieve him of his duties till he was cleared of the charges and said he felt it was his responsibility to enable a free and fair trial.
"I will cooperate with the investigation process ... I would like to come back and join the organisation again with my head held high," he added.
(With additional information from PTI)