New Delhi/Guwahati: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday thanked the media for highlighting the incident where a teenage girl was molested by a mob of at least 30 people in full public view in the heart of Guwahati.
Speaking to CNN-IBN, NCW chief Mamta Sharma said the incident was brought to notice by the media.
"They (media) brought it to the notice, otherwise it wouldn’t have come to light," said the NCW chief.
This comes hours after the Editor-in-Chief of the channel that filmed the Guwahati molestation incident resigned.
Sharma is slated to meet Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi at 12.30 pm in Guwahati on Wednesday.
This came hours after Atanu Bhuyan, the Editor-in-Chief of News Live, the channel that filmed the Guwahati molestation incident, resigned on Tuesday afternoon. He stuck to his defence of filming the incident and thanked the cameraperson for doing so.
Hitting back at the Tarun Gogoi government in Assam for blaming the channel, Bhuyan said, "I am resigning as I think there will not be proper investigations into the matter."
He said that News Live didn't do anything wrong by filming the molestation and airing it. "It is because of News Live that the police could arrest the accused," Bhuyan said.
A News Live journalist had filmed the incident and the channel had aired visuals of the teenager being molested in Guwahati. The journalist who filmed the incident has already resigned after he was accused of instigating the mob to molest a girl outside a bar in Guwahati on the night of July 9.
Bhuyan had earlier defended the journalist and the channel's decision to shoot and air the incident. He had said that had they not shot the incident, the molesters would have been roaming scot-free.
"Mainstream news channels are flooding me with phone calls asking for the footage of the molestation incident. Some of them questioned me as to why my reporter and camera person shot the incident and didn't prevent the mob from molesting the girl. Many people r criticising us for shooting the molestation incident," Bhuyan had tweeted.
"But let me tell them, arrests have been made only because of the visuals. My justification is all very simple. In case of a bomb blast, my reporters would have shot the visuals rather than donate blood. My reporters informed the police, who saved the girl before it was too 'late'. But I'm backing my team since the mob would have attacked them, prevented them from shooting, that would have only destroyed all evidence," he had said.
"Look what happened in Akhil Gogoi's case. Since the attack on him at Nalbari wasn't filmed, only a single attacker is behind bars. Had we not shot the incident, the molesters would have been roaming scot-free," he had said.