New Delhi: The three-member special probe team constituted by the National Commission for Women (NCW) to look into the heinous Guwahati mob molestation incident has reportedly slammed the police for its "negligent" approach towards the entire episode and exhorted the state government to deploy more women police constables in the capital.
The report, that was to be submitted around 2 pm on Monday but got delayed, seeks to set a deadline for the state government to submit its explanation on the incident, say sources.
The NCW committee had met the victim on Saturday.
The report has also exhorted the state government to deploy more women police constables in the capital.
In its report, the NCW says, "Police action was delayed. The police was negligent. The police came half an hour after the first call was made."
"There was lack of coordination between the state administration and the local police," it adds.
Sources say the report has also called for a probe into the role of the journalist who shot the incident, saying it seemed suspicious.
The report has also asked the state government to explain how could such an incident take place on a busy street in the capital city.
The report has further slammed the state government for not making efforts to rehabilitate the girl a week after the incident.
CM's deadline for police ends, only 6 arrested
It's been a week since a teenaged was molested and assaulted by a mob outside a pub in Guwahati. Only six suspects have been rounded up and arrested so far. Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi's deadline to the police to arrest all the accused, identified in the video, ends on Monday.
The police in Guwahati have launched a massive search since the video of the incident was broadcast across TV news channels sparking nationwide outrage. The search has spread to Odisha as well.
News agency PTI reports that one of the main suspects, Amar Jyoti Kalita, seen in a red jersey in the video, has fled to Odisha.
The police have come under fire from all quarters over the incident. A sub-inspector was suspended on Sunday.
The role of the journalist, Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who captured the incident on camera is also under scrutiny. Activists allege that he instigated the mob. Some reports say he has resigned pending a probe.
Neog said the charges against him were 'malicious and wild'.
"There are allegations levelled against me that I orchestrated the molestation on the girl on GS Road on the night on July 9. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild," he said in a signed statement here.
Neog said he had carried out his professional duties as a responsible journalist by asking for a camera unit from his office and filmed the "nightmarish incident to fulfill the social responsibility of identifying the molesters and get them punished."
He requested the management of the channel to relieve him of his duties till he was cleared of the charges and said he felt it was his responsibility to enable a free and fair trial.
"I will cooperate with the investigation process ... I would like to come back and join the organisation again with my head held high," he added.
- Guwahati molestation: CM's deadline for police ends, only 6 arrested
- Guwahati molestation case: CM says reporter's role 'unethical'