Guwahati: A teenaged girl was pulled by her hair, lifted up, thrown down, beaten up, thrashed, molested, groped, slapped and stripped in full public view for 30 minutes on Monday night at a busy road near the Christian Basti area in Guwahati by a mob of around 20 men.
While the Assam Police has identified seven men from the video footage that has gone viral on the Internet, it has only managed to arrest three so far.
Activists and experts have demanded stricter police action, saying the police action should have been prompt. The National Commission for Women has also said it would take action.
Activists and experts have demanded stricter police action, saying the police action should have been prompt.
The outrageous incident has raised many big questions:
- Are bystanders equally to blame for not stopping this outrage?
- How come a camera was right there to capture the outrage?
- Have the police been slow in acting against the molesters?
- Would it have escaped attention had it not gone viral on the Internet?
- Why is the state government silent despite nationwide outrage?
- Has the victim been provided security with molesters still at large?