New Delhi: It all boiled down to those five scenes in a film packed with high drama. On her 32nd birthday, Kareena Kapoor portrays the role of 'Mahi Arora in Madhur Bhandarkar's 'Heroine'. Bhandarkar's films are said to be the insider's view, be it of the corporate, fashion, films or showbiz industry.
In 'Heroine', a film that resembles in treatment and plot Bhandarkar's earlier movies, Kareena gives a powerful performance that overshadows the jerky efforts of some of her co-stars. Kareena gets into the skin of Mahi, an insecure, bipolar and self-absorbed actress. If you are watching 'Heroine', keep an eye out for these five scenes which she pulled off brilliantly.
Spoilers ahead, read at your own risk
1. Funeral: The climax ranks as the top scene of the film. Mahi attends the funeral of an actress of yesteryear who had been her uncorrupted support system during her depression and failures. Mourning someone who was almost like the mother she never had, Kareena is both controlled and emotive in this sensitive scene.
2. Mahi meets Angad: Unfettered by stardom, reinventing herself, Mahi, who has just had a breakup with his co-star and lover Aryan Khanna, attends a 'boring' function only to bump into a cheerfully irreverent cricketer Angad Paul. Away from the prying eyes of the catty competitors in the industry, Mahi revels in her new-found confidence.
3. Mahi promises to appear in charity event: Kareena, in a two-minute scene where she brushes off her mother's request to appear in a charity event for her politician friend, is both charming and funny. She promises to subsidize for her mother the price of her appearance at the event.
4. Mahi, at the brothel: She is a star, but is she a good actress? Mahi accepts a film role with a National Award-winning director who pushes her to reach out to her inner artiste and give a 'real' performance. Her co-star in the film takes her to visit a brothel to study the way prostitutes live. Kareena's discomfort in the company of the call girls is apparent, making it a nice scene.
5. Manipulative and guilt-ridden: When she leaks to the media a sex tape with her co-star, Kareena's desperation to accept any means to ensure a bumper opening for her low-budget film is combined in a nice frame focussing on the intensity of her emotions. But when she eventually gets back in the headlines and her film is a hit, she is ridden with guilt since the tape leak ends her relation with her co-star Aryan.