Hyderabad: Two days after the twin blasts in Dilsukh Nagar in Hyderabad, the Andhra Pradesh Police on Saturday admitted to having had intelligence since November, but expressed helplessness saying they tried their best.
Addressing a press conference in the Andhra Pradesh capital, Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said, "We sincerely tried out best to prevent the blasts, but were unable to do so."
The Hyderabad police chief went to extreme lengths to detail how extensive, constant and elaborate their measures and surveillance had been since November. He said, "There were over 2000 bomb checks across the city...drills were also conducted by bomb detection squads. Additional forces were also deployed."
The city police chief also confirmed that the step-up in security came post the interrogation of Indian Mujahideen suspect Maqbool in New Delhi in November, and that they were aware that the city was a target. Sharma said that the Hyderabad police had interrogated the Indian Mujahideen suspect on November 15, 2012.
Contrary to reports, the police have accessed footage from CCTV cameras around the blasts sites. National Investigation Agency (NIA) sources told CNN-IBN that in at least one sequence, a man wearing green trousers can be seen parking a cycle with an object on it. He was also seen walking off shortly before the explosion. According to sources, the Delhi Police's anti-terrorist force special cell questioned alleged Indian Mujahideen operative Maqbool and his three associates - Imran Khan, Asad Khan, Sayeed Feroze and Irfan Mustafe - inside the Tihar jail.
In a nutshell, it's clear the police were outsmarted by the terrorists, with their admitted elaborate arrangements failing to stop last Thursday's attack. The NIA, assisted by six local teams of SIT, is now focusing on four suspects which the Maharashtra ATS is hunting for in connection with the July 2011 Mumbai blasts. Patterns and suspects in at least six other previous blasts across India are on the radar as well.