New Delhi: Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo says he will try to shorten his expected recovery time with the help of club physiotherapists but admitted that he was not 100 per cent going into Portugal's weekend victory over Hungary.
Ronaldo had to be replaced midway through the first half of the 3-0 win over the Hungarians in their crucial World Cup qualifier after he suffered a relapse of the injury which ruled him out of Madrid's defeat to Sevilla the previous weekend.
He now faces approximately a month on the sidelines but said he was keen to help his country secure progression to the World Cup finals.
"I felt good but was not one hundred per cent, I had a little trouble but I wanted myself to help my country to go to the World Cup," he told AS.
Ronaldo dismissed the notion that he may have to have surgery on the ankle, which is the same on he had operated on last year.
"The injury is different from the one that needed an operation. It has nothing to do with it. I'm calm because I know that with the desire I have to bounce back and with the good work of physiotherapists at Madrid everything will go well," added the winger.
"I will work very hard to shave some time off, but the important thing now is to recover well and never to have these problems."
He added that after doing recovery work at the Madrid training ground at Valdebebas he intends to return to Portugal to meet up with his international team-mates and celebrate their progression to the play-offs with the fans, assuming they beat Malta on Wednesday.
"I'll leave the club to go to Guimaraes. I promised Carlos Queiroz I would be there to celebrate with my teammates and all the fans," he concluded.
- Argentina's win: God, the saint prevail at the death
- Is Fabregas ready to become one of Spain's untouchables?
- World Cup Calcio debate: A case for defence