The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) conducts the Common Written Examination (CWE) as a qualifying exam for jobs in 19 public sector banks in India. The PO exam is conducted for Probationary Officer / Management Trainee posts. However, beside the exam score, the candidates need to meet certain eligibility criteria. These criteria cover age limitations, nationality, and educational qualifications.
Eligibility criteria (as on 1st July in the year of examination)
Please note that the eligibility criteria specified is the basic criteria for applying to various Public Sector Banks. However merely applying for CWE/ appearing for the examination do not imply that a candidate will necessarily be eligible for employment in all or any of the 19 Public Sector Banks as each Bank will stipulate its own eligibility/ qualifying criteria.
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection conducts the Common Written Exam for jobs in 19 public sector banks.
Age: Minimum 20 Years; Maximum 30 Years
The maximum age limit specified is applicable to General Category candidates.
Relaxation of Upper Age limit
- Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe: 5 years
- Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy Layer): 3 years
- Persons With Disabilities: 10 years
- Ex-Servicemen, Commissioned Officers including\Emergency Commissioned Officers (ECOs)/ Short Service Commissioned Officers (SSCOs) who have rendered at least 5 years military service and have been released on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within 5 years the stipulated time) otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency or physical disability attributable to military service or invalidment: 5 years
- Persons ordinarily domiciled in the Kashmir Division of the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period 01.01.1980 to 31.12.1989: 5 years
- Persons affected by 1984 riots: 5 years
- Persons who have completed 5 years of service in RRBs: 5 years
NOTE: In case of a candidate who is eligible for relaxation under more than one of the above categories the age relaxation will be available on a cumulative basis with any one of the remaining categories for which age relaxation is permitted as mentioned above.
A degree in any discipline from a recognized University or any equivalent qualification recognized as such by the Central Government
Examination pattern for CWE PO conducted by IBPS
Here is the pattern of CWE IBPS PO exam:
1. Reasoning: 50 questions of 50 marks
2. English Language: 50 questions of 25 marks
3. Quantitative Aptitude: 50 questions of 50 marks
4. General Awareness (with special reference to Banking Industry): 50 questions of 50 marks
5. Computer Knowledge: 50 questions of 50 marks
6 Descriptive Paper on English Composition (Essay, Précis, Letter writing, etc.): 25 marks
Total: 250 marks (Duration: 3 hours, 30 minutes)
- The tests 1 to 5 are of objective type multiple choice questions
- All tests other than the Test of English Language and Descriptive Paper on English Composition are printed in both English and Hindi.
- The Descriptive Papers of only those candidates who secure minimum qualifying marks in each of the objective tests are evaluated.
- There is a penalty for wrong answers in multiple choice questions. One-fourth marks of a question are deducted in case of a wrong answer. Marking more than one answer is considered a wrong answer. There is no penalty for not answering a question.