ibnlive » India

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:53pm IST

India has already given proof against Saeed to Pakistan: Government sources

New Delhi: Government sources have hit back at Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani's statements about India giving Pakistan solid evidence on Lashkar-e-Toiba founder and alleged 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed.

Government sources have told CNN-IBN that concrete evidence against Hafiz Saeed has already been given to Pakistan. Sources say the evidence includes Ajmal Kasab's statement that Hafiz Saeed was present during the selection and training of terrorists behind the 26/11 attack.

ALSO SEE Pak seeks proof against Saeed from India

Sources also point out that David Coleman Headley's statements about Hafiz Saeed saying the Mumbai mission was critical have also been sent out.

Sources in the government said that it was now time for Pakistan to act on the evidence provided.

ALSO SEE Punish Saeed to normalise ties: PM to Pak

This came after Gilani reacted to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's remarks to Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari in Delhi on Sunday, linking progress in bilateral talks to action against the alleged 26/11 mastermind.

Gilani had said, "We are serious on the issue of Saeed but the question is how to proceed against him without evidence. Courts here are independent and we need substantial evidence against him."

He said that former premier Nawaz Sharif too had asked him about the government's stance on the issue of Saeed. Saeed, the founder of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, has been in focus after the US offered a $ 10 million bounty for him last week.

Gilani had said in Parliament that the case of Saeed was an "internal issue" of Pakistan and any evidence against him should be provided to Islamabad so that it could be examined by the courts.

(With additional information from PTI)

  • 0
  • 0
  • 2

Previous Comments

Latest