London: Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar, who was attacked in London on Sunday night, has claimed that it was an assassination attempt on him. "There were lot of hate messages on net, there were online threats against me. There were pledges to kill me," said Brar, who is known for leading Operation Blue Star against Sikh terrorists in 1984.
The former Army officer praised the London police for the urgency they showed in taking him to the hospital and said he is better now. Brar said that he was slashed in the neck and a surgery was carried on him on general anaesthesia.
He said that he did not let the attackers go without a fight. "I gathered abnormal strength to fight them. I did not leave them easily. They were talking among themselves but I couldn't figure out what they were speaking," Brar told CNN-IBN.
Recalling the incident, he said, "There were four attackers. One separated my wife from me and the other three went after me. My wife was pushed to the wall, where she fell down. All of this happened within a minute."
Brar reiterated that he and many other Army officers had been on the target of many militant groups since the Operation Blue Star. "I did not have security in London but now there is a hell lot of security around me. There is Scotland Yard, military attache," he said.
The 78-year-old former Army officer is a Z-category protectee and a decorated soldier, who also saw action in the 1971 war with Pakistan. He was among the first to enter Dhaka to force the Pakistani army to surrender.
According to sources, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna, who is in New York, called up Indian High Commissioner J Bhagwati to know about the condition of Lt General Brar, who has been on the hit-list of various extremists and militant organisations after his central role in Operation Blue Star in 1984.