Thiruvananthapuram: The two Italian marines who had fatally shot two Indian fishermen must be brought back to India to stand trial, demanded the wife of one of the two fishermen who were killed. Italy has decided not to send the marines back to India.
The two Italian marines being tried for murder in India will not return to the country as New Delhi does not have jurisdiction over the case, the Italian foreign ministry announced on Monday.
Dora, wife of Gelastine, said: "This is nothing but a conspiracy at the highest level and the Indian government should see that they bring back the two marines to stand trial in the case in our country."
Italy claims the incident occurred in international waters and has been trying to get the 2 Italian marines tried in Italian courts.
The two marines have been at the centre of a year-long international row for allegedly shooting dead two Indian fishermen Ajesh Binki and Gelastine after mistaking them for pirates near the Kerala coast in February 2012.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Tuesday termed as unacceptable Italy's decision not to send its two marines to India. He said he will take up the issue with the external affairs ministry.
The Supreme Court in February allowed Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, accused of killing two Indian fishermen to return to Italy to vote in the February 24-25 national elections. It had earlier allowed them to go home for Christmas.
Italy claims the incident occurred in international waters and has been trying to get Latorre and Girone tried in Italian courts, while India contends the shooting occurred in its own territory.