New Delhi: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday skipped the meeting with IIT Council to resolve the common entrance exam controversy even as an IIT Faculty Federation member claimed that a compromise formula has been worked out. Sources say Sibal was not present as he wanted to show that the IITs are autonomous and there is no government interference.
Sibal, who is also the IIT Council Chairperson, instead sent a written statement to Council. He will address a press conference on Wednesday evening on the common entrance exam.
"I have a responsibility to the entire education system. I must fulfil it. Is it not our duty to relieve students of the stress of examination. We have a responsibility to the children of our country," Sibal said in his statement.
Sibal was scheduled to chair the meeting of the IIT Council, the highest decision making body of the elite engineering institutes comprising IIT directors and heads of other educational bodies, deliberating on a resolution adopted by the IIT Joint Admission Board (JAB) which met in New Delhi on June 23.
Earlier on Wednesday, IIT Faculty Federation member Professor SK Das told CNN-IBN that they have proposed that top 20 per cent students of each board and advanced exam marks will be qualifying standard for preparing IIT merit list.
"We have worked out a compromise formula. We have proposed that main exam be entirely conducted and set by CBSE. Top 1.5 lakh students from this exam will then take advanced exam. It will be set for different date, not the same day," Das said.
"Top 20 per cent students of each state board and advanced exam marks will be qualifying standard for preparing IIT merit list. To get admission into IITs, it's important that students score enough to be in top 20 per cent of their board (state, ICSE or CBSE) and also score well in main exam. If council and the HRD minister accept this, we will accept its implementation in 2013," he added.