Mangalore: A Naxalite was shot dead during combing operations launched by the Anti-Naxal Force (ANF) in Baginamale-Cheru reserve forest area near Subrahmanya on Wednesday. Combing operations were stepped up in the thick forests since the sighting of Naxals three days ago. However, the slain Naxal is yet to be identified.
ANF IGP Alok Kumar said five to six Naxals in the group fired at the ANF after nightfall on Tuesday. “The team headed by Deputy Commanders Shankar and V S Nayak returned fire, killing the Maoist, who is yet to be identified,” the IGP has informed. ANF have seized a 12-bore gun, one country-made pistol, 12 cartridges and Kannada and Tamil books. Naxals are said to have camped at the spot as provisions and vessels were found at the spot.
Sources informed that ANF had sought the help of officials, including Puttur sub-division assistant commissioner, tahsildar, gram panchayat secretary, assistant superintendent of police and local elected representatives, for completing formalities, including identifying the body. The scene of the encounter is about seven km from the nearest house and three km from Kalkunda, which they had been frequenting for a week.
A Naxalite was shot dead during combing operations launched by the Anti-Naxal Force in Baginamale-Cheru area.