ibnlive » World

technology partner
in association with

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:48pm IST

Kenya mall attack: Bangalore man Sudarshan B Nagaraj among those killed

Nairobi: One more Indian was killed during the Nairobi mall siege taking the total toll of Indians killed during the hostage crisis to three. The terror siege at the Westgate mall in Kenya's Nairobi continues for the fourth day now.

Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin confirmed that Bangalore-resident Sudarshan B Nagaraj has been identified among those killed during the terror attack.

10 people of Indian origin have also been killed, taking the total death toll to at least 63. With the Nairobi mall siege now coming to an end, the Kenyan government has confirmed that one more terrorist has been gunned down, bringing the total death toll of terrorists to 3.

The Army claimed it is still unsure as to how many hostages are still inside the mall. Kenyan military claims to have rescued more than 200 civilians but the Red Cross maintains atleast 65 more people are missing.

While the government announced on Sunday that "most" hostages had been released, a security expert with contacts inside the mall said at least 10 were still being held by a band of attackers described as "a multinational collection from all over the world."

Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said "two or three Americans" and "one Brit" were among those who attacked the mall. She said in an interview with the PBS "NewsHour" program that the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived "in Minnesota and one other place" in the US

US officials said they were looking into whether any Americans were involved. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Monday that the department had "no definitive evidence of the nationalities or the identities" of the attackers.

The security expert, who insisted on anonymity to talk freely about the situation, said many hostages had been freed or escaped in the previous 24-36 hours, including some who were in hiding.

However, there were at least 30 hostages when the assault by al-Shabab militants began on Saturday, he said, and "it's clear" that Kenyan security officials "haven't cleared the building fully."

Flames and dark plumes of smoke rose on Monday above the Westgate shopping complex for more than an hour after four large explosions rocked the surrounding neighborhood. The smoke was pouring through a large skylight inside the mall's main department and grocery store, where mattresses and other flammable goods appeared to have been set on fire, a person with knowledge of the rescue operation told The Associated Press.

The explosions were followed by volleys of gunfire as police helicopters and a military jet circled overhead, giving the neighborhood the feel of a war zone. By evening, Kenyan security officials claimed the upper hand.

"Taken control of all the floors. We're not here to feed the attackers with pastries but to finish and punish them," Police Inspector General David Kimaiyo said on Twitter.

Kenya's Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said the evacuation of hostages had gone "very, very well" and that Kenyan officials were "very certain" that few if any hostages were left in the building.

But with the mall cordoned off and under heavy security it was not possible to independently verify the assertions. Similar claims of a quick resolution were made by Kenyan officials on Sunday and the siege continued. Authorities have also not provided any details on how many hostages were freed or how many still remain captive.

Somalia's al-Qaeda-linked rebel group, al-Shabab, which claimed responsibility for the attack, said the hostage-takers were well-armed and ready to take on the Kenyan forces.

An al-Shabab spokesman, Sheik Ali Mohamud Rage, said in an audio file posted on a militant website that the attackers had been ordered to "take punitive action against the hostages" if force was used to try to rescue them.

The attackers have lots of ammunition, the militant group said in a Twitter feed, adding that Kenya's government would be responsible for any loss of hostages' lives.

A Western security official in Nairobi who insisted on not being named to share information about the rescue operation said the only reason the siege hadn't yet ended would be because hostages were still inside.

(With additional information from Associated Press)