ibnlive » India » Delhi

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:12pm IST

Kerala girl's photo used on Facebook as that of Delhi braveheart, police investigate

Thiruvananthapuram/ New Delhi: The father of a girl whose photograph was circulated on social networking sites including Facebook as that of the 23-year-old paramedical student who was brutally gangraped by six men in a bus in Delhi on December 16, 2012, has filed a complaint with the cyber cell of Kerala Police. The girl in the photo belongs to Kerala and a family friend her father that her photo was being shared on Facebook.

When the family approached the police, it was found that she was being identified as the Delhi braveheart in the photo. The photo was reportedly posted from a Facebook account in Delhi.

The paramedical student died after 12 days due to the injuries suffered during the gangarape and assault by the accused, all of whom have been charged with murder, rape and dacoity. The case has attracted attention all over the country with massive protests held in several cities demanding the most stringent punishment for the accused and better security for the women.

A fast-track court in Delhi has been set up to hear the gangrape case on a day-to-day basis and Delhi Police are going to file the chargesheet on Thursday. The 100-page chargesheet will be submitted in a sealed envelope before the Metropolitan Magistrate and the fast-track court will hold an in-camera trial in the case. The statement given by the braveheart to the Sub-Divisional Magistrate, while she was undergoing treatment at Safdarjung Hospital in the national capital, and by her friend are slated to be the key evidence to nail the six accused in the barbaric case.

The hearing in the gangrape case will take place on a day-to-day basis with no adjournments at a fast-track court, which was inaugurated by Chief Justice of India at Saket on Wednesday. The prosecution has said that it will try to finish the trial in a month even as the Saket District Court Bar Association on Wednesday passed a resolution saying none of the lawyers would defend any of the accused in the brutal gangrape case.

While inaugurating the fast-track courts at Saket, the Chief Justice of India had sharp words for the police and a word of caution for protesters. He said, "If the Supreme Court directive to remove tinted glasses (from buses) was followed strictly, this may not have happened." He further said: "Some people are demanding that we should hang them immediately. But we must balance things. Let us not get carried away. We must restore the faith of the people in the judiciary."

The chargesheet will cite 30 witnesses in the case. In the chargesheet, the police have mentioned the entire sequence of events from the time the prime accused, Ram Singh, and five others had a party at their place and then took the bus out at night just to earn a few bucks to buy more alcohol. Apart from Ram Singh, while one of the accused is a minor, the others are Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Mukesh and Akshay Singh alias Thakur.

According to the chargesheet, the girl and her friend got into the bus at the Munirka bus stop, after which some of the accused made lewd comments and it led to an argument between the two groups. As the argument got heated, the girl and the boy were assaulted by the accused. While the boy was hit with a rod, the girl was gangraped.

All the six accused in the case have been booked for dacoity, gangrape, murder and destruction of evidence. The police have decided to ask for the maximum punishment for the accused in the case. However, one of the accused is a minor and he will be produced before a juvenile justice board and can be sent to a children's home for a maximum of three years. The police, meanwhile, have decided to go for a bone marrow test of the sixth accused to determine his real age.

For evidence, the police will be using statements of the girl and her friend, girl's ATM cards and jewellery and the medical report which says the injuries were grievous enough to cause death. They also have the CCTV footage and forensic evidence picked up from the bus.

The police have also arrested Dinesh Yadav - the owner of the bus in which the crime was committed - for violating rules to get permit. The police registered a case of cheating against him and picked him up from his residence in Rasoolpur Nawada village near Sector 62 in Noida.

The braveheart had succumbed to her injuries at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore at 2:15 am on December 29 after struggling against all odds and fighting for her survival for 12 days. The odds were stacked against her as she had suffered significant brain injury, intestinal damage, cardiac arrests and multiple organ failure. Her small intestine had to be removed by the doctors at Safdarjung Hospital where she was under treatment for 10 days before she was airlifted to Singapore for further treatment.

The body of the braveheart was laid to rest in the national capital amid heavy deployment of Delhi Police and RAF personnel after she was brought from Singapore in a special aircraft of Air India. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh, West Delhi MP Mahabal Mishra, Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta had also attended the last rites on Sunday. Media was not allowed at the site.

The case sparked nationwide protests as people from all walks of communities, including students, professionals and NGOs from across the country came out to show their solidarity to the braveheart and demand justice for her. The protesters also called for a stronger anti-rape law to ensure that such incidents did not happen in future.