ibnlive » India » West Bengal

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:16pm IST

Kolkata: Police transfers Karaya station officials in anti-rape activist's death case

Kolkata: Kolkata Police has transferred Assistant Commissioner Debasish Baidya, in-charge of Karaya police station, and the OC Prasenjit Bhattacharya. The two have been penalised on charges of misleading the Lalbazar police headquarters over Aminul Islam's death. Aminul had set himself on fire on December 3, 2012 after being allegedly harassed by officials of that police station, after he took a rape victim there to file a complaint. He died on January 1.

The transfers followed the submission of report in this case by Joint CP (Organisation) R Tripurari to the Kolkata Police Commissioner RK Pachnanda on Monday. Three police officials of the Karaya PS accused of abetting Aminul's suicide have already been suspended.

Two Inspectors in charge Vinod Kumar and Ranjit Yadav, and a constable Nasim Khan, who were named by Aminul in his FIR were suspended on Saturday. The Deputy Commissioner of Kolkata Police's South-East Division, Champak Bhattacharya, was also transferred last week.

The social activist, who died of burn injuries, was protesting against police apathy towards a minor allegedly raped by a local thug, Sehazada Bux, who allegedly had close links with the Karaya police station. Aminul had set himself ablaze outside the Karaya police station in Kolkata, citing police insensitivity while trying to get justice for the minor who was raped. He was frustrated that his efforts to bring the accused Bux to justice led nowhere.

"The police and Sehazada are the real criminals. I want justice," said Aminul's mother Shahnaz Izhar. Aminul is dead, but the child for whom he gave his life, lives in horror of the past. Before his death Aminul had alleged that the police were initially reluctant to arrest Sehazada because the accused had close links with them. Instead, Aminul alleged, he himself was falsely charged in a case and intimidated by the police.

"Police and higher authorities did not take any step. They did not hear him," said Md Naushad, counsel for Aminul's family. Sehazada was finally arrested a day after Aminul's suicide attempt and after constant pressure, the state government has now initiated a probe against policemen named by the dead activist.

It was under the same police station's jurisdiction that the high profile Rizwanur Rehman death case occurred in 2007. The latest incident has given ammunition to the Opposition. "I demand immediate CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) investigation so that the truth can be unveiled," Pradip Bhattacharya, President, West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee.

At the time of Rizwanur Rehman's death case, the present West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was the leader of the Opposition. Mamata had launched an all out attack against the police for abetting Rizwanur's death. Rizwanur was found dead near the railway tracks in Dumdum area of Kolkata on September 21, 2007, just a month after his marriage to industrialist Ashok Todi's daughter Priyanka on August 18, 2007.

Previous Comments