New Delhi: The doodle on the Google home page on Friday depicts shot put. Here's 10 must-know facts about the doodle and the sport:
1. The shot put doodle Google's first ever doodle on the sport. Other sports featured on the Google home page logo during London 2012 have featured on doodle during previous Olympics but this is the track and field event's maiden appearance.
2. The London 2012 shot put doodle shows a shut putter ready for his throw. The Google logo appears in the horizon.
3. The London 2012 shot put doodle is the eighth London 2012 doodle posted by Google on its home page.
4. The task in shot put is to throw a metal ball (shot) as far as possible in a pushing motion (putting).
5. There are shot puts events for both men and women in the Olympics.
6. The qualification round and the final for men's shot put will take place on August 3 at the Olympic Stadium.
7. The women's events are slated for August 6.
8. 25-year-old Om Prakash Singh from Gurgaon is the Indian participant in the men's shot put event.
9. The world record in men's shot put is 23.12 metres and 22.63 metres in women's shot put
10. Olympic records in shot put stand at 22.47 for men and 22.41 for women.
- London 2012 shot put Google doodle
- London 2012 table tennis Google doodle
- London 2012 Hockey: The sixth Olympics doodle
- How to follow London Olympics 2012 with Google