London: A man in his 50's was tasered outside Buckingham Palace in London on Sunday after he was seen holding a knife to his own neck. The incident took place during the Changing of the Guard ceremony, when hundreds of tourists were present.
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said the man posed no threat to the public. However he was in possession of two knives and was acting aggressively.
Police used a taser to bring him down, while the identity of the man remains unknown. A video posted onto YouTube by a witness showed mounted police clearing tourists from the area as the unidentified man put a kitchen knife to his neck and shouted.
The incident took place during the Changing of the Guard ceremony in front of hundreds of tourists.
The man took several swipes with one of his knives at an approaching policeman, who fired the stun gun. The man then fell to the ground and was surrounded by policemen in front of hundreds of onlookers.
Other witnesses said the man had broken through a security cordon and was attempting to walk toward the palace guards when he was stopped by police. About 15 officers surrounded the man once he had been subdued, said witness Kevin Burrows, 33.
"Everybody was standing back when it happened, and people were actually quite calm. I think everyone was surprised," said Burrows. The confrontation took place just before noon - a busy time when visitors from around the world flock to the front of the palace to watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony, which takes place every other morning during the winter.
Two knives and a pair of sneakers were left inside a cordoned off area outside the palace gates. Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, were not at the palace at the time, and its staff declined to comment about the confrontation.
(With Additional Inputs From Associated Press)