New Delhi: Operation Blue Star hero Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar returned to India on Wednesday but questions are now arising on whether the government did not provide enough security to him on his trip to London. The Home Ministry now has said it wasn't informed about his travel plans after allegations that his security was downgraded.
Lt General Brar gets Z-category security at home, as he led Operation Blue Star in 1984. The Home Ministry and External Affairs Ministry are monitoring investigations and are awaiting a report from RAW. The MHA has been in constant touch with the Indian High Commission and other officials in London.
Lt General Brar was attacked by four men with a knife in London. He recieved minor injuries and claimed it was an assassination bid. "There were lot of hate messages on net, there were online threats against me. There were pledges to kill me," Brar had said.
The British High Commission had also assured that those responsible for the attack will be booked. Reports pointed towards a possible involvement of Sikh terrorist groups. Scotland Yard has appealed for information from members of the public on the assault on Lt General KS Brar, and described the four assailants as wearing dark clothing, long black jackets and having "long beards".
Stating that detectives were keeping an open mind on the motivation behind the attack, the police said in a statement on Monday that they were particularly keen to speak to people who assisted Brar and his wife after the attack on Old Quebec Street in central London. No arrests have been made yet. "The four men are described as wearing dark clothing and long black jackets. They all had long beards. One of the men is described as younger and slimmer than the other three. They all fled in the direction of Oxford Street," the statement said.
According to Brar, a mobile phone had been recovered from the scene, which may help lead the police to the assailants.